Pumpkin Pie Smoothie Bowl
A few years ago, I began hearing of people eating smoothie bowls. To me, these just didn’t sound all that appealing. I mean, who wants to eat a smoothie with a spoon, from a bowl? Finally, I attended a local Vegfest, a festival dedicated to promoting plant-based lifestyles. Among the many food vendors in attendance was a smoothie bowl truck. I had to admit, their bowls looked tantalizing. There were colorful blends of fruit topped with even more colorful berries along with a variety of nuts, granola, and coconut. They even had more decadent dessert bowls made with nut milk, cacao, and peanut butter and topped with a thick peanut butter drizzle. Sadly, just as I reached the front of the line, the blender broke, and I never got a chance to try these bowls of deliciousness on that particular day. It was not too long after, however, that this same food truck began to appear near my office, and I became a Thursday regular. Yes, I was determined to sample everyone of their organic, masterful creations. Shortly thereafter, I began to experiment by making my own creations at home, using things like acai and pitaya (dragonfruit) purees, both ingredients which I had never included in previous dishes. Since Fall has finally arrived, I took it upon myself to create a pumpkin pie bowl, since pumpkin is all the rage this time of year. It only took a single attempt, and the result was remarkable. A thick smoothie with all of the richness and flavor of pumpkin pie with none of the guilt. Even better, there are only 6 ingredients, so pretty much anyone can whip this up quickly. I topped mine with pumpkin spice granola which I had made earlier in the day, and the crunch was a perfect contrast to the velvety smoothie.
- 1 can pumpkin
- 2 large or three medium bananas, frozen and broken into pieces
- 1 cup nut milk (almond, coconut, pea protein, etc). Start out using 1/2 to 3/4 cup and to avoid making mixture too thin. Add more as needed to achieve appropriate consistency. If making a smoothie instead of a smoothie bowl, use more milk
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Serve immediately in a bowl topped with your favorite condiments (granola, chopped walnuts, pumpkin seeds, diced apple, coconut flakes or Dang coconut chips, etc.). If desired, can sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon